Kelly Ksiazek PhD Candidate, Presidential Fellow
Major adviser: Krissa Skogen, PhD
Research Interests: Urban Ecology, Green Roof Ecology, Plant-Pollinator Interactions, Conservation of Illinois Prairie Species
The combination of increasing urbanization and climate change threatens the extinction of numerous species across the globe. Conservation scientists are trying to better understand ways we can preserve these organisms and the integrity of the habitats in which they live. Challenges associated with prairie conservation in the Chicago area include the fact that urban sprawl has reduced the amount of habitable space for many organisms. If green roofs were considered as part of the solution to conserving plant species, they could potentially be extremely useful tools in providing additional habitat, creating corridors to assist species migration and even serve as sites for preserving native prairie species. To date, most green roof research focuses on environmental impacts and infrastructure and little is known about their ecology.
My research aims to understand the ecological services available on green roofs by looking at a roof’s ability to function as a sustainable habitat. My previous research showed that although green roofs do get visited by fewer and less diverse communities of bees, flowering native plant species do not suffer from poor seed production. Future research will aim to determine whether or not green roofs can be designed to mimic self-sustaining dry prairies that persist for several decades and how plants on green roof contribute to seed and pollen pools within their larger urban environment. I am grateful to have worked with Dr. Manfred Köhler at the Neubrandenburg University of Applied Sciences in Germany during 2013 as part of this research.
MacIvor, S and K. Ksiazek. 2015. Invertebrates on Green Roofs. In R. Sutton (Ed.) Green Roof Ecosystems, (pp. 333-355). New York: Springer. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-14983-7_14.
Ksiazek, K., R. Tonietto and J.S. Ascher. 2014. Ten bee species new to green roofs in the Chicago area. The Great Lakes Entomologist, 47 (1-2):87-92.
DiLeo, M., J. Siu, M. Rhodes, A. López-Villalobos, A. Redwine, K. Ksiazek and R. Dyer. 2014. The gravity of pollination: Integrating at-site features into spatial analysis of contemporary pollen movement. Molecular Ecology, 23(16): 3973-3982.
Ksiazek, K. and O. Starry. 2014. Growing UP in the City: A Book About Green Roofs. Illustrated by C. Ryan Patterson. www.greeningupthecity.com.
Ksiazek, K. 2014. The Potential of Green Roofs to Support Urban Biodiversity. In J. Briz, M. Köhler and I. de Felipe (Eds.), Green Cities in the World. (Chapter 6; pages 101-124). Madrid: Pronatur.
Ksiazek, K., J. Fant and K. Skogen. 2014. Native forbs produce high quality seeds on Chicago green roofs.Journal of Living Architecture 2:e2.
Ksiazek, K., J. Fant and K. Skogen. 2012. An assessment of pollen limitation on Chicago green roofs. Landscape and Urban Planning 107: 401-408.
Ksiazek, K., K. McGlathery, L.K. Reynolds, A. Schwarzschild, C. Wilkerson, T. Carruthers, C. Gurbisz, J. Woerner, and L. Murray. 2009. Learning about coastal trends: What is the story with seagrass and how does it affect me? Science Activities 46(3): 27-31.
Ksiazek, K. and M. Köhler. If you build it, will they come? Factors influencing vegetation and arthropod community composition along a green roof chronosequence. Contributed Oral Session: Green Roof Biodiversity and the Food Web, Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD, August 2015.
Ksiazek, K. and M. Köhler. The potential role of green roofs in supporting urban biodiversity: A multifaceted approach to ecological research. World Green Infrastructure Network Congress, Sydney, Australia, October 2014.
Ksiazek, K. and M. Köhler. Correlations between annual weather variability and green roof plant diversity. World Green Infrastructure Network Congress, Nantes, France, September 2013.
Ksiazek, K., R. Tonietto and K. Skogen. Green roofs provide resources for native forbs and bees in Chicago.Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, August 2013.
DiLeo MF, J. Siu, M. Rhodes, A. López-Villalobos, A. Redwine, K. Ksiazek, R.J. Dyer. The gravity of pollination: the relative utility of a gravity model approach for circumscribing pollen-mediated gene flow. Plant Population Biology Conference, Tartu, Estonia, May 2013.
Ksiazek, K. Finding Chicago’s green roof analog among Illinois’s dry prairies. Green Roofs for Healthy Cities; CitiesAlive! 10th Annual Green Roof and Wall Conference Collegiate Café. Chicago, IL, October 2012.
Ksiazek, K. Replicating local ecosystems on green roofs. 4th International EcoSummit: Ecological Sustainability, Columbus, OH, October 2012.
Ksiazek, K. Pollination services on Chicago green roofs. Green Roofs for Healthy Cities; CitiesAlive! 9th Annual Green Roof and Wall Conference. Philadelphia, PA, December 2011.
Ksiazek, K. Sex in the city: an assessment of pollination services on green roofs in Chicago. Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting, Austin, TX, August 2011.
Ksiazek, K., Carruthers, T., K. McGlathery, L.K. Reynolds, E. Hinkle , A. Schwarzschild, C. Wilkerson, C. Gurbisz, J. Woerner, and L. Murray. The Seagrass Story. National Association of Biology Teachers, Denver, CO, November, 2009.
Hinkle, E., and K. Ksiazek. Using Clicker Technology to Improve Classroom Instruction. National Association of Biology Teachers, Denver, CO, November, 2009.
Fellowships, Grants and Awards
- 2015-2017 Northwestern Presidential Fellowship
- 2014 Northwestern University Plant Biology and Conservation Travel Award
- 2014 Phipps Conservatory and Garden Club of Allegheny County Outreach Award
- 2014 Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens Patti Burns Outreach Award
- 2014 Northwestern University Plant Biology and Conservation Research Award
- 2014 Botanical Society of America Graduate Student Research Award
- 2014 Institute for Sustainability and Energy at Northwestern's Nasaw Family Fund for Environmental Research
- 2014 Northwestern University Alumnae Grant
- 2014 Phipps Conservatory Botany in Action Fellowship
- 2014 World Green Infrastructure Network Travel Award
- 2014 The Dr. John N. Nicholson Fellowship from Northwestern's Graduate School
- 2013 Phipps Conservatory Botany in Action and Garden Club of Allegheny County Outreach Award
- 2013 Illinois State Academy of Science Student Research Grant
- 2013 Prairie Biotic Research, Inc. Small Grants Program
- 2013 Phipps Conservatory Botany in Action Fellowship
- 2013 Plant Biology and Conservation Travel Grant
- 2013 Fulbright Travel Grant
- 2013 Germanistic Society of America Fellowship
- 2012 Plant Biology and Conservation Travel Grant
- 2012 Phipps Conservatory Botany in Action Fellowship
- 2012 Plant Biology and Conservation Research Award
- 2012 Western Ag Innovations Student Research Award
- 2011 Plant Biology and Conservation Travel Grant
- 2010 Northwestern University Dr. John N. Nicholson Fellowship
- 2010 Plant Biology and Conservation Research Award
- 2009 The Robert Hevey & Constance Filling and Len Ginger Fellowships
- 2008 Center for Ocean Science Education Excellence Research Fellowship